HOUSE FIRE CHECKLIST
When your home or business has a fire, it’s hard to know what to do next. It is imperative to get professional, practical advice. ATR Group are recognised by the main insurance companies as the specialists in Fire and Flood Disaster Recovery. Do not panic – we are here to help. We have set out Guidelines below to help you with the initial steps.
WHAT TO DO AFTER A FIRE
- Get permission from fire department official to re-enter the fire-damaged structure
- Retrieve valuable belongings and irreplaceable heirlooms before you leave the property
- Contact family members and loved ones to inform them of the accident
- Contact local police and advise them if your home will be vacant. Notify your children’s school, the post office and any organization you’ve borrowed from
- Call all utility providers (gas, electric, water) and inform them of the fire and discuss need for emergency shut-off service
- Start the process of replacing important documents lost in the fire, such as licenses, passports, birth certificates etc.
- Call your homeowners insurance to begin the claim process
- Fires can be traumatic for your entire family. Take care of everyone’s emotional needs and schedule counselling, if necessary
- Call the ATR Group and make arrangements for fire remediation services
- Understand and acknowledge the specifics of the “Fire Report” and make sure you receive a copy.
- Document all fire damage. Take photographs and detailed notes of damage to property.
WHAT NOT TO DO AFTER A FIRE
- Do not enter your home until you’re given permission that it is safe
- Do not turn on the gas, water or electric utilities until a professional has deemed them safe
- If your car is burned, do not start or move it
- Do not try to clean any of the smoke or soot damage. Leave that to the professionals.
Contact The ATR Group